Monday, September 14, 2009

These boots are made for walking

Here we go-Walla Walla Day 2

After starting the day at a local greasy spoon which was nothing really exciting, we still weren't quite ready for wine tasting yet-so what do we do?? Go cowboy boot shopping!!!

We found a great western store with a HUGE selection of boots, belts, buckles, hats-pretty much everything you can think of. After having a giant machine scan my feet and tell me two things I already know-I'm a size 6 1/2 and have flat feet- the kind, old gentleman started pulling boots for me. Ultimately it came down to a practical but awesome pair of black boots or an AMAZING pair of navy blue snake skin boots....I was so torn-but the old man working there helped me make the decision by telling me to let my feet decide-and I did. I am now the proud owner of a pair of amazing comfortable black cowboy boots-I needed to wear them-now! My first birthday present so far!

After that we were ready for some wine tasting and we had heard that there were a number of wineries by the airport. The airport?!? you say-yup the airport. Apparently Walla Walla wants to encourage start-up wineries and they provide a number of wineries space at super low cost-at the airport. Well, I can tell you it's not very pretty out there, but we did have some good wines! The two best places we went were Elegante Cellars (no website) and SYZYGY

At Elegante we were greeted by Doug, the owner and winemaker. He started making wines very recently, but they were really great. The tasting room smelled amazing and it turns out that he had just gotten his Merlot grapes and was just starting the fermentation process. We got to see these huge vats where you could actually watch the fermentation process-very cool! We left there with his 2007 Walla Walla Valley Sangiovese.

We were walking around from winery to winery when Keith says to me: "Ellen, you look like a diva today." Me, a diva?! In attitude, everyday-in dress, rarely! After he snapped this picture, I had to agree....I love my boots!
From Enterprise

Pretty much the only other place to write home about was SYZYGY. In case you don't know what a syzygy is (what you don't know! :)), it describes the alignment of three or more celestial bodies in the same gravitational system along a plane-like a solar eclipse. Goofy name aside, the wines were really fantastic and I'm surprised that we only went home with their 2006 Columbia Valley Red Wine blend of Syrah, Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon and Malbec.

We were pretty much done with wine tasting for the day, it was kind of early in the day and it was getting HOT-what else is there to do but go to the movies!? We saw District 9, which was a great sci-fi movie. It was so nice to go to the movies since there isn't a theater (yet) in Enterprise.

Of course Sunday means football too and we had heard about a bar called the Green Lantern, so there we were! It was here where I got my second birthday present of the day, mozzarella sticks! I realize this may sound weird if you don't know me and my obsession with fried cheese, combined with living in Portland for 3 years and for whatever reason most bars I went to overlooked putting this bit of perfection on their menu. I have been experiencing a mozzarella stick drought that is now over!

I have to recommend a trip to Walla Walla to go wine tasting. We had a really great time and I can't wait to go back-I wish I was there instead of sitting in class right now!

No comments:

Post a Comment