Monday, July 20, 2009

How to Be Lovely

Instead of being a diligent and responsible student and reading my Sci Fi novel for class, I just finished How to Be Lovely: The Audrey Hepburn Way of Life by Melissa Hellstern.

This
book is a series of short instructional vignettes with headings like "Be genuine," "Live without regret", and "Style for life". These are followed by stories, anecdotes from Audrey's friends and quotes, mostly from Audrey herself.

From Audrey Hepburn we can learn style, dignity, grace, and of course how to be lovely.

Some of my favorite quotes:
"The most important thing is to enjoy your life-to be happy-that's all that matters."

"Living is like tearing through a museum. Not until later do you really start absorbing what you saw, thinking about it, looking it up in a book and remembering— because you can’t take it all in at once."

"Who thinks you're as fantastic as your dog does?"

"My look is attainable. Women can look like Audrey Hepburn by flipping out their hair, buying the large sunglasses, and the little sleeveless dresses." Oh Audrey, if only it was that easy!!

"It's the flowers you choose, the music you play, the smile you have waiting. I want it to be gay and cheerful, a haven in a troubled world."

" I am filled with rage at ourselves. I don't believe in collective guilt, but I do believe in collective responsibility."

No comments:

Post a Comment