Friday, October 3, 2014

Thank you Russia!

What the hell do you do with over a gallon of goats milk a day? Everyday. Single. Day. I've been trying to figure that out.

There are the cottage cheese experiments, the yogurt culturing, a lot of chevre in the freezer. Still, there is always more milk in the fridge.

With all of this, Keith has been pushing for cream. Separating goats cream is not the same as separating cows milk. Cows milk cream floats to the top and you just skim it off-how easy! For goats cream you need a centrifuge separator and what I had read was that these can cost $500-1000. Yeah, that was not going to happen! But where there's a will there's a way-thanks to Russia!

Keith found a Russian cream separator on Amazon for about $150 and really, how could I say no? Of course I want cream, and butter too!



This did come with instructions in English too, but they really don't look as amazing! This came in the mail yesterday and I can't believe that I had to wait until today to use it! It did take a little time to put together, mostly because it seemed too easy and there seemed like there were extra parts (there aren't!). Put together, it's a lot bigger then I expected it to be! It reminds me of Sputnik. Spherical, but quite pointy in parts.



Now that it's all clean and set up, let's get it to work! The milk has to be warmed to about 100 degrees before putting it through the centrifuge. I warmed up a gallon and a quart and started it through.





Slowly at first, then more quickly, the cream comes out the top spigot and the skimmed milk comes out the bottom spigot. I wish there was more cream! But still about a cup and half of cream is better than nothing!

I've got 2 quarts of skimmed milk culturing into yogurt. I'm not really sure how that will turn out, since it is the first batch that I have made without whole milk, but I don't doubt it will be edible!

The cream is still too warm to be able to tell how thick the cream really is, but time will tell! On to more experiments!

No comments:

Post a Comment