Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Happy day after Memorial Day!

The 'it didn't snow!!' edition.

The first year we lived here it snowed Memorial Day weekend. Last year, we had a terrible hard frost right before Memorial Day, killing almost all of the counties apple and cherry blossoms and most of my tomatoes. This year I am smarter! I planned for this. I have enough tomato plants in my upstairs closet that I could replace all the tomatoes in my greenhouse and still have some left over.

So, of course, this has been the nicest spring since we've moved here. Some friends say it's the mildest spring in the past ten years. So...anyone need any tomato plants?

The greenhouse is full and so far there haven't been any casualties. Keith keeps warning me that I've been planting too early, and in most years he'd be right, and it's still to early to say he isn't, but so far so good!



Hot peppers, sweet peppers, tomatoes, winter squash, tomatillos, eggplants have all survived May in the greenhouse, now hopefully June is successful as well!



Another year gardening, another experiment. Just about everyone who gardens around here swears you can't grow corn around here. And maybe they're right, but hopefully I am.

My friend Dionne and I have decided that these people don't know what they're talking about and we are going to grow corn. Not on the 'knee hight by the fourth of July' plan, but on one that works here. I ordered some Early Sunglow Corn from Nichols Nursery. The description sounded perfect: A superior corn for on the cob freezing because of its very high sugar content and ability to retain the fresh corn flavor. Disease resistant; grows under cold, adverse conditions. Four foot tall plants produce two or more ears of golden yellow kernels that are narrow, sweet and tender. And it's supposed to only take 62 day to mature (although I'll believe it when I see it!).

We planted about a week and half ago and about 2/3rds of the seeds have sprouted. And man, does corn look like grassy weeds when it sprouts!


Hopefully the view will inspire the corn grow it's whole 4 feet!

Meanwhile, in the garden: the rhubarb looks just about big enough to eat someone whole and has it's goofy looking flower popping out of the top. I love this crazy plant that I don't take care of at all and it just bounces back from winter like Godzilla!




The past couple weeks around here have been beautiful! All the trees are flowering and everything is green, it's really been amazing! While I can still feel Old Man Winter's breath on my freshly sunburned shoulders, I am trying to shake him off as best I can and enjoy this spring that feels like summer as much as possible!



No comments:

Post a Comment